This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Large Gifts

bubb95
Large Gifts

Postby bubb95 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:58 am

Hi.
I wish to gift approximately £120,000 in total, to two members of my family with a view to having it gifted back to me.
I am dying of heart failure at 29, but my doctors are giving up on me. Therefore I am considering a protest which will border, but not equal slander, in order to achieve investigations and treatment. I am concerned about incurring a large fine and so wish to rid myself of my savings prior to this protest. It is estimated I have between one and ten years to live, but my total worth is not much over £130K so IHT is no issue

My mother has a very small income and my sister has a good income of approx £45K. . My concern is that my sister or mother will have to pay some kind of income tax on this amount. Please could you tell me of any tax they may occur, or if things work out, that I may incur when receiving i back?

Thank you so much in advance, for any information you can give.
M

Lee Young

Re: Large Gifts

Postby Lee Young » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am

Making a gift "with strings" wil lnot protect you (or that money) if you are successfully sued for slander. Moreover how would yo afford to live?

There would be no income tax on the gifts if you did make them.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

3point14

Postby 3point14 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Go to Vegas, put half on black, minus 1/35th for zero and the other half on red. Do this twice, losing a small fraction and you will be able to get certification that you have lost two sets of £60k (forgetting about the other separate winning side) thus showing nil assets. Meanwhile your real cash is hidden away say in a bearer bond or other non traceable instrument.

Generix

Postby Generix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Go to Vegas, put half on black, minus 1/35th for zero and the other half on red. Do this twice, losing a small fraction and you will be able to get certification that you have lost two sets of £60k (forgetting about the other separate winning side) thus showing nil assets. Meanwhile your real cash is hidden away say in a bearer bond or other non traceable instrument.
Can you really still get bearer bonds?! Thought they were just a Hollywood film accessory nowadays?
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

Incredulum

Postby Incredulum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Otherwise known as dirty £20 notes...

Budget83

Postby Budget83 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Wow thats new one on me

Return to “General”