This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I lied on my job application and have no P45

MKOP
I lied on my job application and have no P45

Postby MKOP » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi,

I lied on my job application about the dates on my previous employment because of the huge gap in my employment history. I have, in fact, not worked since before April 6th, and have therefore paid no income tax this year. Now my new employer is asking for my P45, and obviously I don't have one. Does anyone have any suggestions that might save my arse?

(I haven't been on any kind of benefit whilst being unemployed, instead I have spent my savings and worked odd jobs for cash in hand)

Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

mullet

Re: I lied on my job application and have no P45

Postby mullet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Just say that you haven't got one, and they should offer you a P46. HMRC will then send you a review form (P91) to find out what you've been up to in the last year or two. That will sort it out from a tax perspective, but whether your new boss will ever be able to trust you is another matter.

MKOP

Postby MKOP » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:35 pm

Will my boss know I lied? if so I'm pretty sure I'll be dismissed... :( Well, I've learnt my lesson the hard way.

Incredulum

Postby Incredulum » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:27 am

You can get fake P45s. Get one filled out with nil in it. Or tell your employer you are in a dispute with your old employer and he hasn't paid you this year so there is no P45.

cliffordpope

Postby cliffordpope » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:03 pm

I get new employees sometimes who haven't got a P45, through some mix up, they have lost it, previous employer negligence, etc. A P46 sorts it out. I certainly don't start chasing after an old employer.
So from the tax continuity point of view there would be no problem.

But the more serious thing is that you have lied in order to secure pecuniary advantage, which is a criminal offence. Like claiming to be a qualified doctor and in fact having once worked as a hospital porter.
Also presumably you invented an employer, a job title, a reason for leaving, etc and perhaps had to talk about it at your job interview.
So for all time you will have the risk hanging over you that some chance remark or check up will reveal the truth.

In your shoes, assuming the P45/P46 problem is sorted and done, I'd be tempted to get well in in your job and then confess to someone you trust who is senior enough to let it pass and regularise your record. It would depend a bit on how much you had been obliged to lie and deceive, and in a sense dug your own grave.
I'd personally forgive you an awful lot if i liked you and valued your worth as a worker, but not if I'd been made a fool of at your job interview.

Good luck :)

section 44

Postby section 44 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Like claiming to be a qualified doctor and in fact having once worked as a hospital porter.
Bit of a stretch.

towat

Postby towat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:45 pm

I didn't want to be the first to say it but Cliff is right you have committed a criminal offence, I am not judging you I am sure it happens a lot, ask Lord Sugar! I know I used to "inflate" my current salary as a bargaining tool.

What I wouldn't do is dig yourself in any deeper by forging a P45, remember your new employer will send a copy to HMRC where presumably it will be cross referenced (or not) with your "former" employer's records.

If I were you I would complete a form P46 say that your former employers are being obstructive and just sit tight, your new employers can't be that bothered about it or they would have taken up references.

Generix

Postby Generix » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Like claiming to be a qualified doctor and in fact having once worked as a hospital porter.
Bit of a stretcher.
:lol:
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

towat

Postby towat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:48 am

Generix I learned long ago that Tax advisors should never attempt to make jokes. We leave that to HMRC.

Nadine77

Postby Nadine77 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:37 pm

Just say that you haven't got one, and they should offer you a P46. HMRC will then send you a review form (P91) to find out what you've been up to in the last year or two. That will sort it out from a tax perspective, but whether your new boss will ever be able to trust you is another matter.
Oh!
Thank you so much for the information

Return to “General”