This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I need your recommendation (self-employed status)

jerryas
I need your recommendation (self-employed status)

Postby jerryas » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:39 pm

A situation I came to London (UK) from Estonia a half year ago to work here as self-employed web developer (freelancer), i have found a partner (company) we started to work together, a company made me first payment (to my invoices) 3 month ago, with this invoices, another contract to web project and all other documents ( bank statement, tenancy agreement , bills) i went to jobcenterplus to interview to apply to national insurance number as self-yemployed person and i got refused, we collect more document (more invoices) and company has written letter to manager to assist me to get NIN, that the company needs in my services in a future, i have went again to jobcenterplus , and again after 3 weeks i recieved letter what i have been refused to right to work as a self-employed person,

what we have now, i dont have rights to work as a self-employed, company must stop using me immediately as it is longer than 3 months and face a fine of £2000 or more

please, any recommendations are welcome how to be in this situation

RMC

Re: I need your recommendation (self-employed status)

Postby RMC » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Estonia nationals are entitled to work in the UK, be it as employees or self-employed. What reasons were given for refusal to issue you National Insurance number (NINO) (assuming you still have the Jobcentre Plus letters)? For what offence would the £2000 penalty be?

Tax Champion

Postby Tax Champion » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Try telephoning the Contributions Agency International Work department - the number a few months ago was 0845 9154811, but it may have changed - look on the HMRC website for national insurance international

Tax Champion

Postby Tax Champion » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Or ask the local office for a contact number for an International Caseworker

Return to “General”