This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self-assessment and gift hold-over relief

rob200
Self-assessment and gift hold-over relief

Postby rob200 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi,

I'm finishing off my 2010-2011 tax return and am not sure where to put some information - I'd be very grateful for any assistance.

In the tax year I was given a gift of some unlisted shares and I have a HS295 form that both the transferor and I have completed. The HS295 form shows an estimated gain to be held-over calculated using the original cost of acquisition and an estimated value at the date of transfer. I haven't subsequently disposed of the shares so have not yet realised any gain.

Do I need to complete an SA108 Capital Gains section in my return (so I can then attach my HS295 form to it)?
If I did it would be mostly blank other than to say I was making a claim and the 'computations include estimates' (boxes 26 and 27) and an explanation in box 36.

Or can I simply attach the HS295 form with an explanation in the 'additional information' section of the main return?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks in advance,
Rob

mullet

Re: Self-assessment and gift hold-over relief

Postby mullet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:54 pm

You don't need to complete the CG pages SA108 and nor do you need to submit HS295 - since you have acquired rather than disposed of the shares. Just keep everything as you will need the paperwork when you eventually dispose of the shares. Remember that the value that you acquired them at is reduced by the gain arising on the gift. So the giver not only gifted the shares to you, but also in effect the CGT liability on them.

rob200

Postby rob200 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 am

That explains why everything I've read about it seemed to be more concerned with the transferor rather than the transferee!

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated.
Rob

okevin

Postby okevin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:56 am

I disagree with the above post in one way.

The form does need to be submitted to HMRC but not by you! The donor needs to submit the form either as part of his self assessment or with a covering letter to his tax office.

rob200

Postby rob200 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:39 am

Yes they'll be submitting it as part of their return. They seemed to think I'd need to submit it too as a 'parallel claim' which is why I ended up lost in the various help sheets and hmrc web pages :)

Thanks,
Rob

Return to “General”