This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is my C.I.S. 20% tax being paid

Milnes
Is my C.I.S. 20% tax being paid

Postby Milnes » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi, im a self emplyed electrician working for a firm on the C.I.S. basis.
20% of my wage is taken to pay my tax

HOW CAN I BE SURE THIS IS BEING PAID?

I have not recieved any payslips but even if I had, how can I be sure its been paid?
Any response would be greatly apprrciated.

Gaz Milnes

nikkisizer

Re: Is my C.I.S. 20% tax being paid

Postby nikkisizer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello Gaz,

The firm should provide you with a slip each time you receive payment from them showing your gross pay and tax deducted.

If they are not providing you with these then request them for all payments received.

If you experience a problem obtaining these from the firm then you can call HMRC, give them your CIS number and explain the situation.

Happy to help if you need any further assistance.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants
nikki@sizeraccountants.com
[url]http://www.sizeraccountants.com[/url]

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

tom 7000

Postby tom 7000 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:14 pm

GET THE PAYSLIPS...with these its proof it has...and erm...if the main contractor doesnt pay it over then HMRC will string him up to dry. Its not your responsibility to make your contractor pay, it is to get the payslips.

Did I say get the payslips...

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Hello Gaz

The contractor has up to 14 days after the end of the tax month (5th Month) before they have to issue you with a written statement of tax deducted, so if the payment by them to you is after 5/3/2012 then they do not have to forward this information to you till 19th April.If payments are between 6/2/2012 and 5/3/2012 then the information is just overdue by a day or so.
As Nikki and Tom say they should give you something in writing to confirm the tax deducted so if you need to chase them up then do so asap - obviously allowing for the time lag mentioned above. It is always in your interests to get written proof of tax deducted as HMRC can be a right pain if the contractor has not submitted the information to them and in the meantime goes pop - if this happens you will probably be asked to provide proof to HMRC that tax has been deducted.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cis/contractors/advice-pay.htm
You must give a written statement to every subcontractor from whose pay you are required to make a deduction. You have to do this within 14 days of the end of each tax month

Return to “General”