This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet


Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:00 pm


Postby musty » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 pm

We have had the same domestic help for many years (cleaner). She is a lady of very modest means and is not at all knowledgeable in administrative matters.

Her mother has recently died after years in a care home, where all her costs were funded by the DHSS. The deceased mother received a small allowance from her state pension, the bulk of which seems to have been taken by the DHSS as a contribution to the care home costs.

The deceased mother has virtually no estate except for trivia, mementos and a few pounds in cash. Our cleaner finds the prospect of dealing with her mother’s probate, or whatever is required, very daunting and has no resources to place the matter in the hands of a solicitor.

We would like to advise this lady how she might proceed and wondered if there are any special arrangements to cover very small estates.

Posts: 4492
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Probate

Postby pawncob » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:46 pm

With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:00 pm

Re: Probate

Postby musty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:16 am

Thank you Pawncob. You say it’s very straight forward? You must be joking! We passed the references to the deceased’s daughter and she was completely baffled.

Posts: 7894
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Probate

Postby maths » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:14 pm

If you have access to the internet have a look at Form PA1 and IHT Form IHT205.

Most of each would probably be irrelevant and you might be able to help her fill it in.

If literally the cash is minimal (and not in a bank) and the other items are as you say mementos then in practice probate is not strictly necessary (unless perhaps there are likely to be arguments amongst the beneficiaries). Technically Form IHT205 should be lodged but you could just do nothing; unlikely to be any problem.

Return to “General”