This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Multiple businesses - self emplyed

spyder01
Multiple businesses - self emplyed

Postby spyder01 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:38 am

I run an established business as a gardener and am retraining as a plumber. Can I claim for the cost of the plumbing training course, tools etc? I am doing a few small plumbing jobs that is bringing in a small income.

mullet

Re: Multiple businesses - self emplyed

Postby mullet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:19 pm

You cannot claim a deduction for the initial training to become a plumber as such training only puts you in a position to start your business. You can however claim for the costs of ongoing training/reaccreditation etc, as such training maintains your skills to enable you to continue your business.

If you have two distinct businesses then you should not combine income and expenses; you should keep two sets of records and complete two sets of self employment pages.

stevestone

Postby stevestone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm

Thank you for this excellent & thoughtful post, so full of ideas.. it is helpful & your post motivated me..thank
[url=http://www.bostonlimousineservices.us/]Affordable Limo service in Boston MA[/url]

ranasarkar

Postby ranasarkar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 pm

• gguguyguyguyg

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Always a bit of a tricky area. You state you have already taken on some small plumbing jobs, which could change the nature of the training from 'putting you in a position to be able to do the work' to 'refreshing skills and additional training'. I'd need to look at it a lot closer but on balance depending on when the course started as opposed to when you started doing plumbing jobs it might be possible to claim the cost of the course against the plumbing income.

It's always fun to argue this sort of point with HMRC as to where exactly such expenditure falls. At the end of the day improving your skill set should pull in more money which means more net profit which means more tax revenue for HMRC, so you would have thought they would be falling over themselves to encourage such expenditure...
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “General”