This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Missing money

timone
Missing money

Postby timone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to prepare my company accounts and have just noticed a large amount of money is missing.
The bank account is correct, but we do a lot of business by cash and unfortunately i have obviously not kept a close enough eye on that and I have a difference in my accounts.
Is there anywhere i can show it on the accounts.

Thanks for any help or advice received.

Tim

pawncob

Re: Missing money

Postby pawncob » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 pm

The fact that you've got a sum of money "missing" means that the Directors haven't complied with their duty to maintain proper books and records. If you show it in the accounts HMRC will treat it as an invitation to investigate in depth. Find the money. Be methodical and it will be discovered, or the cause of the defalcation will!
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Without looking too closely at it, you say the bank account is correct but there is some cash missing. I'd ask the directors for some thoughts on the matter, as clearly something went wrong somewhere along the line and you don't want the same mistake to happen again.

It usually turns out that one of the directors took the cash and forgot to hand in a receipt for whatever they bought, or they took it as drawings and again forgot to mention it- or mentioned it in passing and then the conversation was forgotten (happens quite a lot in busy places).

Get everyone to have a good think and usually someone will remember - a client of mine pays cash for a lot of things they buy for the business and after we list down everything we have receipts for there are usually a couple of bits and pieces lying around that aren't in the accounts ( these can be £500 parts, etc) and usually after some digging around at home he can find the receipt or he knows where he got it from and we can get them to confirm the purchase - usually a nice email copy of the receipt which states 'paid by cash' on it.

If it definitely isn't fraud, and it's not some sort of asset, etc, then the directors are taking a hit on their drawings - which teaches them pretty rapidly to make sure procedures are tightened up!!
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

timone

Postby timone » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Thank you both very much for your replies. Very helpful and it now seems you are correct and it was a director who was responsible.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Glad you found it, happy to have been of help:-)
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “General”