This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HM Customs Enforcement - POA

stevebrown99
HM Customs Enforcement - POA

Postby stevebrown99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I have been in quite big arrears with HM Customs for SA as waiting to for sale of house to complete, this is now done. I will be bringing up to date for Apr 2012 in next couple of months apart.

I will be behind on January 31st Payment on Account. Does anyone know if HM customs can take legal action to recover POA's, Bankruptcy etc.? as my tax return will not be filed until later in the year? And balancing payment not due until 31st Jan 2014

Thanks

pawncob

Re: HM Customs Enforcement - POA

Postby pawncob » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 pm

They recover taxes due, not just POAs.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 am

Your 2011/12 should have been filed and the tax paid by 31 Jan 2013.
It appears that you have not yet filed the 11/12 return.
You may well be able to arrange a time to pay agreement but HMRC will not even consider this until you have filed the return currently outstanding.
You should do this without further delay and then contact them to arrange a payment plan

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm a little confused as to the OP's exact position. You have sold the house which provides you with sufficient funds to clear all your back taxes, including any payment on account that was due on 31 January 2013.

I assume from that that you have filed your 2012 Return as that would have formed the basis for the payment on 31 January 2013- or was the POA an estimate?

HMRC can chase POA's but will rarely try and make someone bankrupt over it. But you do need to talk to them if you require time to pay, which might be hard to get considering you just sold a house.
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “General”