This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

LLP and Car Purchase / Taxation advice

MJ-LLP65
LLP and Car Purchase / Taxation advice

Postby MJ-LLP65 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Help!

I have have my own business, LLP, 2 partners. I previously purchased and ran my own cars and claimed mileage rate back at 45p/25p BUT as circumstances have now changed and looking at the actual split I have been covering 13k miles a year of which only 7.5% have been for private use. So can you please advise;

I am going to purchase a 1 yr old car purchase price £38k and will keep for a further 3 years

Can you please advise how I can best achieve this through the LLP? Things like Depreciation, Insurance, Fuel, Servicing, Tyres etc. need to be considered as well as the purchase price. Should I provide a loan/cash injection to the company then how is that best managed?

I would really appreciate advice on how best to achieve best tax efficiency on the above.

Ian McTernan CTA

Re: LLP and Car Purchase / Taxation advice

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Ask your accountant, they should be able to help.

If you don't have one, then I assume you are suitably qualified to handle a LLP and all the rules pertaining to them, or you are potentially storing up a lot of future problems.

Trying to save money and do things yourself will probably end up costing you more in the long run- for instance, is there a partnership agreement?
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

MJ-LLP65

Re: LLP and Car Purchase / Taxation advice

Postby MJ-LLP65 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:08 pm

I have an accountant however he has always wanted me to run as a Ltd company and I get the impression may not be LLP expert, though has managed the accounts the last 4 years, but I provide everything clearly spread sheeted for him to put in the correct part of the accounts.

I will ask him but need a basic understanding before doing so. If anyone can provide an insight how they handle this within their own LLP or an LLP they provide accountancy services for and the HMRC expectations that would be a fantastic start.

Return to “General”