This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming off my self assessment

masher
Claiming off my self assessment

Postby masher » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:27 am

If i rent a room in a domestic property but use in solely for a office to run my business would i be able to deduct the £300 a month as
an expense?

( i would not be living there ) the landlord as agreed to allow me to use the room as an office so all fine there.

Please help me if you can...

Thanks.

pawncob

Re: Claiming off my self assessment

Postby pawncob » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30 am

If it's used exclusively for business purposes, then Yes.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:05 am

Yes.

But the landlord would not qualify for Rent A Room relief - just in case he/she thinks the £3600 pa.will be tax free.

masher

Postby masher » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Ok, i don't no what the landlord does regarding her tax affairs but i did mention to her i would be using the room to run my business from.. so i just wanted to check to see
whether or not i could deduct the 300 i pay her each month as a business expense even tho its a domestic property.

Sounds like i can!

Return to “General”