This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

wife visa tax

Tykva
wife visa tax

Postby Tykva » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Hello there,

Im Kazakhstan citizen married to a British citizen for two years now. Due to visa arrangements I moved to the UK at the end of October last year only. Im on wife visa (leave to remain). I finished my work in KZ in June, 2013, and obviously all of my income tax was paid there. I have cash savings on savings accounts and pension savings in KZ. Im not working here yet. I haven't transferred that money to the UK yet as I wasn't sure how to. My question is do I need submit any tax form to HMRC? If yes, stating what or what is the name of the form? Thank you very much!

bd6759

Re: wife visa tax

Postby bd6759 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 pm

There are no tax implications when you bring capital into the UK. Worry about tax once you start earning income.

Tykva

Postby Tykva » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Thank you! But tax year is finishing soon in the UK and haven't brought money into the UK, should I submit some sort of tax self assessment or no? Kind of to let authorities know about that money? For example, I cant bring in pension savings unless I change my citizenship, which I don't plan to or wont happen at least for 5 years. Thank you!

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:00 pm

You only need to notify HMRC if you have income that isn't fully taxed at source.

If you have savings in KZ that generate income, you should notify HMRC before 5 October. They may ask you to complete a tax return, or will deal with it informally by adjusting your tax code (assuming you have a UK employment)

Return to “General”