This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

laptop or no laptop?

keaton
laptop or no laptop?

Postby keaton » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:15 am

A question I've seen answered a few times, each with different answers. I plan to buy a laptop for my business, that would be 100% for my business (I would use my tablet for my own stuff) but am unsure whether I can claim this as a expense? The answers across the internet very from-

1, I can claim the money back over the life of the laptop, for example £400 ÷3.

2, I can claim a percentage of the cost at around £80 for a £400 laptop.

3, I can claim the whole amount in the first year as its a 'capital allowence'

Anybody know which is the correct and legal answer.

Also does it matter that i'll be using the new simplified cash accounting rules?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: laptop or no laptop?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:14 am

Hi

Claim the Annual investment allowance in the first year

Kind Regards

Sash

King_Maker

Re: laptop or no laptop?

Postby King_Maker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:37 am

Under the (voluntary) new simplified cash accounting rules, you should be able to treat the purchase of the laptop as an expense.

If you are needing a mortgage in the near future, you may want to check that you prospective lender will accept such accounts.

Return to “General”