This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Setting up a new business *Help??*

vortexjim
Setting up a new business *Help??*

Postby vortexjim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi folks ,

I've been employed for the last 2 years and paying tax PAYE . However since July 2014 I have been unable to work due to ill health and signed off from by the doc for this whole period.

My total income for this 2014/15 year I expect will be £8200

however throughout the year I have been considering starting up my own business and buying the tools/machinery/buisness cards etc in anticipation of starting up.

I was thinking of starting up and registering as a sole trader as of the end of this month ( Jan 2015).

Would I be able to claim expenses on all of my machinery/tools etc this year(totalling about £2500 ) and if I did so, would I expect to get any form of tax rebate/return

Many thanks in advance.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Setting up a new business *Help??*

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi

Yes you can receive a tax deduction most likely under the Annual Investment Allowance

Refund will only be due if the business is not making any profit and you can offset the loss against previous years PAYE

Kind Regards

Sash

Return to “General”