This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dual Resident - Which Country Do I Bill From?

andycheeseman
Dual Resident - Which Country Do I Bill From?

Postby andycheeseman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi,

I am self employed in the UK and I will be moving to Helsinki (Finland, EU) soon. I will be maintaining my relationships with my UK clients, who I provide film and design services to in the UK. I'll be dual resident in both the UK and Finland for tax purposes, and I intend to use the double taxation treaty to resolve this. I am fiscally domicile in the UK, as the UK is my centre of vital interest.

All things considered, which country do I raise invoices from?

Finland has a much lower threshold for VAT (around 8000 EUR), so billing from Finland will negatively impact my relationship with non-VAT registered customers in the UK; adding 24% onto their invoices that they won't be able to reclaim/offset.

Any thought and input very welcome.

Thanks,
Andy.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Dual Resident - Which Country Do I Bill From?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi Andy

The VAT rules have changed from 1st Jan 2015 in relation to supplies of broadcasting, telecommunications and Electronic Services. With limited information about the services you offer, I am not sure if this affects your business.

Basically the place of supply is where the customer is based and hence you will need to register in those countries where you supply to. I do not believe there is a threshold in respect to the new EC VAT rules.

Otherwise With B2B services you can reverse charge as the supply is where the customer is based. Your customer does not have to be VAT registered though it may help to support your case.

B2C place of supply is where the customer is based.

Now where to invoice should be from the country you are stationed. Actually you could end up being non tax resident in the UK as its earned overseas though that may depend on the Statutory Residence Test hence you probably should invoice from Finland and pay taxes there.

I think it would be better for you to have a UK company as that would be treated as resident in the UK and you can invoice from the UK

It is a little complex and maybe you should just discuss it with an adviser.

Thanks

Sash

andycheeseman

Postby andycheeseman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 am

Hi Sash,

I will have a permanent UK address available to me whilst I am abroad, so should I be able to raise invoices from that address?

Given the nature of my work, I will also be spending enough time in the UK with my clients to be classed as resident in the UK for tax purposes.

Thanks,
Andy.

andycheeseman

Postby andycheeseman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:02 am

Hi Again,

Also, I don't think my video production and graphic design services will come under these rules. They're not 'broadcast' (corporate videos) or automated.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leafle ... ection12.3

Thanks,
Andy.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:21 am

Hi Andy

I would invoice from the UK if you are resident in the UK and all your clients are from the UK

Kind Regards

Sash

andycheeseman

Postby andycheeseman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi Sash,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you run your own accountancy business in the UK? I'm looking for someone to advise professionally on some other topics.

If so, do you have a website or contact number?

Thanks,
Andy.

Return to “General”