This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SA-lost records 08 until 13

rtc82
SA-lost records 08 until 13

Postby rtc82 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi all,i am a self employed bricklayer and havent done my accounts for these years as ive basicaly been all over the place, homeless, changed banks,used cash convertors, basicaly i have no records between theses dates , and the tax office wont help me ,they just want £3000 in fines,how can i find this infomation out so i can sort these fines out ,many thanks in advance!!!

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: SA-lost records 08 until 13

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi

Sorry to hear about your struggles

I would certainly try to engage an local accountant to sort everything out they may also be able to appeal against the penalties . If you are under CIS there may well be opportunities to get a tax refund

rtc82

Postby rtc82 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:34 pm

thanks for the reply, i will use an accountant if i have to, but i dont see why i should pay the extra expence, surely i should be able to get the info myself, and if i do need an accountant hows best to find out the best, as it seems not many people like doing self assesments

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi

Yes you can do it yourself but an accountant would have experience in these matters and a letter coming from an accountant can have more weight with HMRC.

If you feel the penalties are unjust then just write to them explaining why. I have been successful with self assessment appeals on a few times but HMRC usually take a hardline.

I would suggest you file your tax returns as soon as possible. I wouldn't see an accountant as an extra expense but probably can save you money and taxes

Return to “General”