This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

International Students - fiing of tax returns

Sterren
International Students - fiing of tax returns

Postby Sterren » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:55 am

As an international student in the UK, I had a UK bank account. My bank has said that I can keep using this bank account despite exit from the UK.As an international student, I did not file any tax returns as I was either getting a fully paid bursary for studies from the uni, was self-financed and/or any part-time jobs I was doing were taxed through the PAYE scheme.

I pay tax on my worldly income where I currently live. In general, the only thing I use the UK account for is to manage credit card payments or international trips. I transfer a little bit of money to the account to pay the monthly credit cad fees or any expenses I may have while travelling. I do NOT receive any interest on any balance on my account (had given this in writing to the bank ages ago). I do not receive any income from any source directly into the UK account.

I have two separate questions:

- Given the above scenario, do I need to file income tax return separately in the UK due to holding this account?

- If in the future I may end up taking a virtual job (such as with an online firm) for which I receive payment through the UK account, would I then have to file tax returns in the UK despite being non-resident there? Would it make a difference if I have a UK virtual employer or a non-UK virtual employer? Would it make a difference if I was already paying tax on global income where I lived?

Sorry for such a long question!

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: International Students - fiing of tax returns

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:53 am

Hi

To answer your questions no tax return if required in either case

Kind Regards

Sterren

Re: International Students - fiing of tax returns

Postby Sterren » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:34 pm

Thank you. This is a relief!

Hi