This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Private person tax and NI

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:36 pm

Private person tax and NI

Postby sanna » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi there,
I am a private person and thinking about using admin help from self-employed Assistant. If she sends me the invoice of services provided by her do I have to pay TAX and NI?

Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Re: Private person tax and NI

Postby King_Maker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:06 am

You will need to ascertain if she is self-employed or a part-time employee of yours. Only if the latter will you be responsible for operating PAYE (Income Tax & NI).

However, it is a question of fact - not merely what label you and she wish to put on the Contract.

If she is classed as your employee, there are are matters to consider - NMW (National Minimum Wage); holiday pay; insurance etc.

Return to “General”