This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I claim tax back on international Msc study?

Dk2108
Can I claim tax back on international Msc study?

Postby Dk2108 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:06 am

Hi everyone, would be very grateful for any advice

I have just returned from australia having completed a masters degree there in physiotherapy. i have been working and paying taxes etc in the UK for 3 years prior to this on a 25k per year wage and completed all but the last 4 months of the course from the UK as distance learning while still working full time in the UK.

The masters itself cost £19k as an international student to the university of Western Australia.

My question is: should I be elegible to claim some of this back from the HMRC as it was part of my own education and out of my pocket? And how best should I go about this to get the max I am entitled to (if any)

I'd really appreciate any help or guidance you can offer...

Many thanks

bd6759

Re: Can I claim tax back on international Msc study?

Postby bd6759 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:00 pm

There is no tax relief available for the cost of education.

philr85

Postby philr85 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi there,

I have pretty much exactly the same question regarding education while self employed. I have just received an unconditional offer to study a masters degree related to the field in which I'm currently self employed.

My question is, have the rules changed since this post (as it was originally posted in 2016) regarding claiming back the cost of education for a self employed person? Surely work related courses, (first aid or similar, for example) are educational and often necessary for someone to do their job, therefore should be applicable for tax relief?

Thanks

P

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm

HMRC haven't changed their stance unfortunately.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim35660

Bottom line is if it gives you a new skill (or qualification) then it's a capital expense and not allowable against profits. If it refreshes or updates existing knowledge (CPD) then it is allowed.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

scorpions321

Postby scorpions321 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:23 am

Unfortunately no way. I haven't heard any.

Return to “General”