This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New Venture formation advice

tompipe
New Venture formation advice

Postby tompipe » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi,

A friend and I both trade using Ltd companies (A and B). However, we are venturing into a new area of business which we will be working on together and would like to isolate this from our own companies, and also give it a separate identity (C), but we are confused about how to set up correctly/efficiently, and have had conflicting advice regarding structure.

Some advice inferred that if we set up C as a Ltd company, with us each as human directors/shareholders, then all 3 companies may become linked, definitely for VAT purposes and possibly in other ways as they are under common control?

Another piece of advice was to form an LLP with corporate members. To me, this seems the most appropriate option, A and B could invoice C for services (at a market rate) and any profit left would be paid to A and B, and is then up to shareholders of each where that goes.

What are the benefits/consequences of each, or are there any other options we should be considering?

Thanks in advance.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: New Venture formation advice

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:58 pm

There is little chance of being linked if you have a totally different business and structure so wouldn't worry about that

There maybe tax reasons why a LLP or Limited company is preferable

I would make sure you have the proper agreements setup in place if you are venturing into business with someone else

Kind Regards

GTA

tompipe

Postby tompipe » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:15 pm

There is little chance of being linked if you have a totally different business and structure so wouldn't worry about that

There maybe tax reasons why a LLP or Limited company is preferable

I would make sure you have the proper agreements setup in place if you are venturing into business with someone else

Kind Regards

GTA
Thanks GTA - it's a very similar field in some aspects, so to a non technical person, they may be seen as doing the same/similar work. Not sure if that makes any difference?

Absolutely will be having proper agreements drawn up, it's highly unlikely to breakdown and cause problems between us, but I'm sure many many people have said that before me, then wished they had an agreement to fall back on!

Do you have any idea what tax reasons would make one preferable over the other?

Cheers

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi

You have to forecast profits and then see if a Limited company would be better based on 20% Corporation tax and dividends or self assessment tax at 20% ,40% or 45% and National Insurance (9% + 2%) for a LLP.

Kind Regards

GTA

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Just to add to GTA's points, the question of whether your businesses will be linked for VAT purposes depends on how many connections there are between the business.

HMRC give their guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ice-4-1983

In practice, it looks at whether there is shared premises/equipment/customers/employees/financial links.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “General”