This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

limited company - van purchase and use

john lane
limited company - van purchase and use

Postby john lane » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:25 am

Hi I'm considering purchasing a van as I may have to travel to one temporary place of work or carry IT Equipment
I'm likely to register for VAT shortly and as most of the benefit of the flat rate scheme seems to have gone away, just register normally
The van would be a a ford transit custom, registered as a van e.g. no windows, extra seats, registration N1 or N2.
I have a separate vehicle at home for private use - I could either use the company van for private use and pay for fuel or pay the benefit in kind?
My assumptions are that:
- I would not have to pay VAT on purchase
- I would have to account for depreciation each year - is there a good measure to use for vans?
- After a number of years (3, I have in mind) - the van could be sold to a director at the depreciated value and VAT would have to be paid on the sale price.

My questions are:

Can the benefit in kind charge and the national insurance charge simply not apply by keeping good records of private miles and paying for fuel (the 30 day or pool use provisions do not match the way my business works?

Can I put money into my ltd via directors loan if there is insufficient funds at the time of purchase to buy the van?

Any other comments or suggestions?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: limited company - van purchase and use

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi

There are various issues here and unless someone on this forum has the time and effort to put a detailed response to you (which I don't) then suggest you do take this up with an accountant.

Kind Regards

GTA

bd6759

Re: limited company - van purchase and use

Postby bd6759 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:35 pm

1. No. The tax charge arisies ot of the van being available for private use irrespective of any such use.

2. Yes

Return to “General”