This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Becoming a Writer - am I SA self employed even without earnings?

Fairydusty
Becoming a Writer - am I SA self employed even without earnings?

Postby Fairydusty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello,

I had trouble finding suitable part-time employment for the last 2 years and so decided to go creative and try writing and other arts. I declare self assessment due to other income from bank interest and property rental and pay tax on that.

My question is - am I now classified as self employed for my SA as I am not looking for other work? I have not made a penny from my writing yet but expect to (it is hard!). I understand that if I do classify myself as self-employed, I would have to pay NI - but would that be on my total income (from bank interest, investments and property rental) or only from any earnings I make from writing?

I am wondering if I am better of just being 'unemployed' until I start making money? Still studying writing too (self-study)

I hoep this post is clear!

Return to “General”