This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Offsetting CFD trading losses against self-employed income

Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Offsetting CFD trading losses against self-employed income

Postby Stotters » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:21 pm


In the 2017-2018 tax year my CFD trading losses exceeded my self-employed income. I was also a full-time PAYE employee.

Can I offset the CFD trading losses against my self-employed income?

A potentially very significant point is that in the tax year under consideration, my CFD trading activity was much larger than my other side self-employed activities. This means that the CFD trading was my principal self-employed activity and my losses would therefore be classed as business loss rather than Capital losses, which means that they can properly be offset against the other income. Would you concur?

Ali -v- HMRC might be the key authority here.

Return to “General”