This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital allowance on new EV Car - Advice need for specific circumstance

Shah2001
Capital allowance on new EV Car - Advice need for specific circumstance

Postby Shah2001 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Background:
I am a partner in a business (take drawings) and do Annual self-assessment – 40% tax bracket

Currently: Have a car worth about £1800 max. This is used exclusively for work/commute

I also have my own family car for the family/wife to drive.

Main Car for work: Commute to work and also do client visits.
• Client visit may be in the region of 10% - Rest 90% is for the commute to work.
• I claim very little (10% of may be £1,500 car costs = £150 max a year, plus 10% of 18% = £33)

I wanted to buy a new 100% Electric car – Cost £32,000

QUESTION:

Initially I thought I would be able to claim that amount as capital car allowance (£32,000) as I use it all for work, but I have read that I may not be able to do that as the commute to work is not considered work, but only the 10% of the client visit is, so only 10% I could claim.

I wanted to know what would be the best and most tax efficient way to buy the full electric car.

I was thinking perhaps to buy it near the end of the financial year and then only use it for a few days of client visits only. Technically then I would have used it for 100% for business and so thought I could claim 100% for that year and not claim for the current car at all. However I recall on my PPE claims form I give to my accountant it asks for the purchase price of new car and sale price of old car and has two columns, Vehicle 1 and 2 with each asking for percentage of private use (commuting is 90% for me). Could I claim 10% on the old car and 100% on the new EV vehicle or will they pro rata this taking into account the days I used the new EV vehicle only.

Advice and help appreciated along with any debate arguments for and against.

Thanks,

Return to “General”