This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I need to pay tax when transferring money from Ireland to UK?

ROQuery
Do I need to pay tax when transferring money from Ireland to UK?

Postby ROQuery » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Hello all,

I'm finding it very difficult to clarify this issue.

I'm originally from Ireland but have lived in the UK for ten years. I want to transfer money from an Irish bank account in my name to my UK account, somewhere in the region of €5000 right now but potentially more later (maybe €10,000-15,000 overall). What I'm unclear on is whether or not I'm liable to pay tax on this in the UK. I should perhaps state that the money is in fact being given to me by my father, who lives and pays tax in Ireland, and has been transferring smaller regular sums from his Irish account to mine.

Would very much appreciate any advice on this.

AGoodman

Re: Do I need to pay tax when transferring money from Ireland to UK?

Postby AGoodman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:57 pm

No, no tax is payable on simply transferring money into the UK

Return to “General”