This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Electric company car with private use

mrrafs
Electric company car with private use

Postby mrrafs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Hello,

Our family car has just died. It was however used mostly by my wife who used it for valid business trips to clients several times a week. I am still trying to make head or tail of the tax implications of an electric replacement company car.

She is a joint director of our non-vat lmt company and a paye employee of it. I am also a director. We are both basic rate tax payers.

Savings of an electric car?

VED/Road tax exempt

BIK 2%of p11D (2020/21) list price (rather than 20%) = approx £100 per year

Capital Allownce is 100% 1st year allowance if bought new for the company. So the cost of the car is treated as a taxable expense? Is this right, even if the car is also used privately?
Or if it’s second hand, 18% single asset pool. So i assume that is that you can claim 18% of the cost in the first year, and 18% of the pool after that.

Battery hire can also be a company expense, as well as a portion of the electricity used to charge the batteries..

I must be reading this wrong? If the company buys a new £20k electric car, it’s total value is treated as taxable expense, and the cost for private use to the employee will be BIK and electricity/fuel used?

really?

D&C

Re: Electric company car with private use

Postby D&C » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:06 pm

As your family has "just died" what are you doing about the 2019:20 tax year due to start in a couple of weeks?

Waiting until 2020:21 seems a long gap.

mrrafs

Re: Electric company car with private use

Postby mrrafs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:29 pm

buy now.. and pay BIK 16% for one year..

Return to “General”