This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax mindlessness

Barb1980
Tax mindlessness

Postby Barb1980 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi please take the time to read this... I have no idea if i have done anything wrong or not.

In 2012 i got 300k from playing a video game i was really good at... the money come from some random american guy who i met playing the game, i have no idea who he was however this is the case, I was not self employed... I was not employed, I was mearly playing in tournaments and winning pretty much every single time, I had no idea how tax worked at the time or that i even had to pay anything at all and im still unclear to this day as to weather i done anything wrong.

I was good at the game and was playing it regaurdless i wasnt in it for the money i just liked the game because i was really good at it, it had a point system and you could give the points to other players as i really didnt care much for them people would offer me money for them and that soon amounted to large amounts of money... I didn't see it as work at all.

As far as i understood tax at the time it was just something you got taken out of your wages at a job before you received your wages or to tax a car on the road.

I spent the lot and gifted a lot of it out also.

Can anyone please shed some light? im really not that smart, i just play games on the internet.

Jholm

Re: Tax mindlessness

Postby Jholm » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:40 am

Can you give us a bit more info as to the money?

Mainly, you say that you got £300,000 from someone. Was this a prize? Was it expected? What was it actually for and why?

How many payments would you have received in total, ever?

Are you currently having trouble with the taxman or just curious?

Barb1980

Postby Barb1980 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:57 am

It was various different people.

On the game creators website they stated the points had no monetary value, so essentially i didn't have anything of value to sell and it was not work... the way i seen it i was being given money for nothing as i had nothing of any value to sell.

I never received any tax bill.

Still to this day i have heard nothing about it at all.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:45 pm

i was being given money for nothing as i had nothing of any value to sell.
Obviously the points did have a value, that's why you were being given money for them!
I never received any tax bill.

Still to this day i have heard nothing about it at all.
Have you told HMRC so that they can send you a bill?

Return to “General”