This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Prize money abroad?

dshiday
Prize money abroad?

Postby dshiday » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:23 am

Hello,

I know that lottery winnings in the U.K isn't taxed. However, is this the same for PRIZE winnings abroad? I want to enter a competition abroad to win potentially up to 1million US dollars. If I do end up winning, will I be taxed? If so, how much? Again, I'd like to make it clear that it isn't a lottery but a competition prize money.

Thank you

darthblingbling

Re: Prize money abroad?

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:23 am

A competition for what

JRG

Re: Prize money abroad?

Postby JRG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:04 am

As far as I know any money you win from a lottery/competition abroad would be taxed, or not taxed, dependent on that country's rules. If it is taxed then you should receive the net value. I suggest you review the competition rules to determine how the competition promoters deal with matters in the case of a winner from abroad.

Return to “General”