This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New kitchen tax deductible?

bubu
New kitchen tax deductible?

Postby bubu » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:57 am

Hello,

I paid to have a new kitchen put into my rental property last August. The old kitchen was really old. The new kitchen is almost exactly the same, just new. Nothing fancy.

I am doing my 2018/2019 tax return and want to know if I can claim any tax reliefs on the cost of the new kitchen at all?

Many thanks.

darthblingbling

Re: New kitchen tax deductible?

Postby darthblingbling » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:02 am

I'd say so yeah, provided it's a similar standard kitchen.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Yes
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bubu

Postby bubu » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:45 am

Thanks for the replies.

I do the tax return myself. This is not a general repair, which I would usually add to my expenses/costs which offset against my rental profits.

How would I claim tax relief on the like for like new kitchen? Do I just need to deduct the cost (3.5k) from my total rental income?
Is it as simple as that? Obviously, this is not a general repair, so do I need to know anything else?

Regards.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:51 am

It's a repair

bubu

Postby bubu » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. A repair it is.

I read something about capital expenses and about furnished properties. My property is let unfurnished. (except the gas cooker in the kitchen, the carpets and the curtains)

Does that have any bearing on my being able to claim tax relief on the new kitchen?

Would I just deduct the sum of the new kitchen from the total rental income? It is a sizeable chunk. Wouldn't it seem odd to HMRC?

Also, what happens IF a few years down the line, I decide to live in the property myself? Would that matter, or is tax relief on this kind of 'repair' dependent on the property remaining rented for a minimum number of years?

Thanks.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:01 am

Doesn't matter

theobn

Postby theobn » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:52 pm

Sorry to jump onto someone else's question but I am in the same situation. Like for like kitchen. 2018-2019 tax return but..
This is my first rental and the kitchen was fitted by myself before the first tenant moved in.
I was still living at the property whilst fitting the kitchen. It took me ages to fit, so some of the receipts are from the previous tax year.
Is this a valid claim? I have read on some sites that repairs undertaken up to 7 years before the first rental would be valid, if they would count as valid revenue claims once the first tenant had moved in but can't find anything official on HMRC's site.
The carpet, bath and shower were all also replace like for like just before the tenant moved in, can I claim for these?

Thanks for your advice,

David

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:20 am

Search "Odeon" in the box.

Opinions still vary.
https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54387&p=199850&hilit=Odeon#p199850
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

theobn

Postby theobn » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:21 am

Yes I see what you mean, thanks for the quick reply.
Three days to decide and submit! :)

Return to “General”