This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Directors Loans entry

humble_pie
Directors Loans entry

Postby humble_pie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:25 pm

My Company's financial year finished on 30th of November 2018. I had £20K director's loan outstanding(all of this amount was taken out during last financial year of the company), which I have paid back into company accounts today. So its within 9 months of accounting period, since my accounts are due on 31 Aug 2019.

As per HMRC rules, I don't any tax since this amount has been settled in 9 months. On my balance sheet I showed this amount as Debtors amount falling. MY question is, where else I need to mention that I took this loan. I am a micro entity company, so usually all I have to submit is a balance sheet. As I understand CT600 is not mandatory for Micro-entity companies.

robbob

Re: Directors Loans entry

Postby robbob » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 am

There should notes - section 6 of the linked document is a decent starting point for some advise on what notes should say.

https://www.frc.org.uk/getattachment/fb775a35-08b0-41ad-b164-ff0414a61e33/FRS-105-WEB-READY-2015.pdf

Note although there is no charge to s455 tax there is a taxable benefit charge on you as the individual unless you repay interest at the official rate - this should be reported on form p11d - calcs based on tax years so reporting deadline was 6th July.

finally note there are linked loan rules so there could be issues if its a recurring theme that you are taking loans from the company soon after repaying other loans.

humble_pie

Postby humble_pie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:33 pm

There should notes - section 6 of the linked document is a decent starting point for some advise on what notes should say.

https://www.frc.org.uk/getattachment/fb775a35-08b0-41ad-b164-ff0414a61e33/FRS-105-WEB-READY-2015.pdf

Note although there is no charge to s455 tax there is a taxable benefit charge on you as the individual unless you repay interest at the official rate - this should be reported on form p11d - calcs based on tax years so reporting deadline was 6th July.

finally note there are linked loan rules so there could be issues if its a recurring theme that you are taking loans from the company soon after repaying other loans.

Repay the interest on official rate ? I don't really understand that point..

On your second point on loan rules, I been trading for 5 years, this was first time I took out the loan, so its not a recurring theme.

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:28 pm

The default is you declare taxable benefit based on value of loan (presuming over 10k) - however you can reduce the benefit charge if you pay back the company at the official interest rate,

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-loans-provided-to-employees
On your second point on loan rules, I been trading for 5 years, this was first time I took out the loan, so its not a recurring theme.
That's fine as long as there are also no similar loans in the near future too! - so a second loan soon after the first one has been repaid would affect the treatment of the first loan !

humble_pie

Postby humble_pie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:43 pm

The default is you declare taxable benefit based on value of loan (presuming over 10k) - however you can reduce the benefit charge if you pay back the company at the official interest rate,

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-loans-provided-to-employees
That's fine as long as there are also no similar loans in the near future too! - so a second loan soon after the first one has been repaid would affect the treatment of the first loan !

Ok, according to HMRC the official interest rate is 2.50%, so it means I have to pay 2.50 interest on top of original loan amount ? I didn't submit a P11D yet either.

No I won't take another loan again, its just too much hassel.

humble_pie

Postby humble_pie » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:38 am

Thank you for reply.

I think I have more clarity now, Basically if I pay the loan back to the company with interest rate HMRC has set out, 2.5% then I won't have to submit the P11D...
But then I will have to pay CT on the interest earned by the company in future payments ?

Return to “General”