This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Debt Advice

alex.mercado
Debt Advice

Postby alex.mercado » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 am

Hi, I have a question what if you paid the collection already and I still get phone calls...I even got proof I paid!! 3 different companies called and now they are threating to sue. How do I handle that?

Thanks in advance guys for help

Jholm

Re: Debt Advice

Postby Jholm » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:19 am

Debt to HMRC? The fact you mention 3 different companies suggest you are not referring to tax debts that HMRC have referred to a collection agency.

I would suggest (In a non-professional capacity) that you seek advise from a debt charity such as StepChange.

robbob

Re: Debt Advice

Postby robbob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:31 pm

There are a very high volume of fraudulent phonecalls doing the rounds at present purporting to be from hmrc.I have heard of similar stories reference business rates too.

I would be very wary about confirming anything with anyone who rings up reference debt - even if you have any hmrc debt you could get unlucky and pick up the phone to a fraudster.

At a minimum ask them to clearly advise tax / part of known reference number before you even speak to them - the fraudsters wont likely have any actual information unless they have previously rung up an you have confirmed that information. Even then i would be minded to take a message with contact number - verify that numbers is genuine before ringing back to discuss anything.

As you say even when hmrc debt has been cleared some of these companies mention no names other than ADVANTIS - want further unreasonable not easy to provide proof that you don't owe anything as they won't ring hmrc "their customer" and confirm the debt has been paid. Completely appalling state of play and its completely at odds with the taxpayers charter not taking your words as been said in good faith.

With advantis you can try the line i don't like your aggressive attitude (presuming that is factual) , and advise you don't want to disclose any confidential information to them - and make a formal request that they pass the debt back to hmrc so you can deal directly with hmrc. That at least may temporarily solve the problem if its just a timing issue in that hmrc will at a later stage confirm the debt is gone. This isn't ideal situation if they keep any details of the debt on their file after that request has been done.

Return to “General”