This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I can’t get access to self assessment. HELP !

CD31
I can’t get access to self assessment. HELP !

Postby CD31 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:15 pm

I tried logging into my GOV.UK account to file a tax return and I entered the government gateway I’d and password correctly but then it’s asking me for an access code. It says to get the access code to download the HMRC app and find it there. I’ve done that but no code appears. It asks me to scan a QR code or to get another code I need to log in to my account and go to my settings, but I can’t access settings as every time I log in I’m required to enter this access code. I phoned HMRC and they told me to provide them with a mobile number to send a code to once I’ve entered my government gateway ID and that I should wait an hour before trying. I waited 2 hours, logged in but it still says I need to go to the app to get the code and I haven’t received no text message with any access code. I rang them again and they told me to wait a few more hours as it could still be updating. Did this and still no joy, so I’m in this endless loop of signing in, going to the app , to then be re directed to login etc. I rang HMRC again and they literally have no clue what to do and told me I probably wouldn’t be able to access it if I wasn’t receiving a text with a code. So what on Earth do I do now? I can’t get access to my self assessment but I’m sure they would fine me if i didn’t submit a return. I just don’t understand why the process is so complex. If I go to an accountant would they be able to fit one for me using their own Methods?

Jholm

Re: I can’t get access to self assessment. HELP !

Postby Jholm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 am

It often requests you enter a backup means of getting the code, which seems you are double-entering the details. Is there a tab at the bottom that says 'I can't do this now'? If so, click that and it should bypass.

Return to “General”