This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Outstanding Tax Balance before switch to Limited Company

SkewE2
Outstanding Tax Balance before switch to Limited Company

Postby SkewE2 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi all

At the minute I'm trading as a sole trader. I'm a little behind with my tax, but I've a direct debit in place with HMRC to get me back on track.

The money coming into the business is going to rise sharply. It means I will be looking to switch from a Sole Trader to a Limited company.

Obviously I will cease as a Sole Trader at this point, but can I do this with outstanding tax? So, could I get in touch with them, explain I am no longer a Sole Trader, but now part of a Limited Company and continue to make my monthly payments to them to clear the amount that is still owed. At the current rate, this will take about another 8 months given that I will need to file for 2019-20 as the company runs April to April.

I guess I'd be paying this as someone who's now employed albeit Director of the company moving forward. I just wasn't if that when I stopped as a Sole Trader that the account would need immediate settlement. Ideally, the increaase in money would be a lump sum to just wipe it all off in one, but it's more an increase in hourly, for example, from £10 up to £20 per hour. Payments will increase though as a result to more money coming in.

I hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any help.

pawncob

Re: Outstanding Tax Balance before switch to Limited Company

Postby pawncob » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:30 pm

Your tax liability exists regardless of your trading medium. You'll continue to pay off your debt whether you're employed (by the LTD) or self employed.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”