This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Mileage relief for job and army reserve

cookie9123
Mileage relief for job and army reserve

Postby cookie9123 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:34 am

Good morning,

I have a company car, which I also use for personal use. I have to pay for fuel and then the company reimburses me for company mileage, for which I get 11p per mile. I am also a member of the Army Reserve, which reimburses me for travel at around 25p a mile. I know if I had my own car and used if for both work and the Army Reserve, I would be able to claim tax relief for the full amount of about 45p per mile. My questions are
1. Can I do this with a company car for the Army Reserve?
2. Am I correct in saying that I can't do this for the business mileage from my primary job.

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, I did do a search but couldn't find anything like I'm asking.

Thank you in advance.

Lee

Jholm

Re: Mileage relief for job and army reserve

Postby Jholm » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am

Fuel consumption works out at about 11p/mile hence why your employer pays you that much. The AMAP rates (45p first 10,000 miles, 25p thereafter), account for wear and tear and upkeep on top of fuel consumption. As such, you cannot claim the 45p amount from either and employer or HMRC. It sounds like you are being over-reimbursed from the Reserves.

cookie9123

Re: Mileage relief for job and army reserve

Postby cookie9123 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply. NOt sure about the Army Reserve side, always had that amount.

Return to “General”