This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Fixing the most important tool

dogburger
Fixing the most important tool

Postby dogburger » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:28 am

Hi . Im just a builder who has worked for myself and main contractors for over 40 years . I probably haven't claimed all the tax back that I could have done over the years but have been quite happy to pay my bit .
As I move into my 60's though my body is falling apart . Trapped nerves in my back need daily medication and now the arthritis in my feet will need and operation or two . My hands are showing signs of going the same way .

Now as I work with my hands and need to be reasonably mobile until my working age is reached in 7 years I need to get this fixed . I don't think the government had us builders in mind when they raised the retirement age .

My question is , Is your body counted as a tool and can I claim expenses to get it fixed ?

bd6759

Re: Fixing the most important tool

Postby bd6759 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:08 am

The rules require expenditure to be solely for the purpose of your business.

pawncob

Re: Fixing the most important tool

Postby pawncob » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Only if you entertain people while you're building.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”