This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to find a good tax advisor?

kg21
How to find a good tax advisor?

Postby kg21 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:08 am

Hope I'm allowed to ask this question on this forum!

I'm looking for a personal tax advisor for IHT planning, on UK and international assets.

However, I'm not sure how best to select an advisor. A few questions come to mind:

1. I presume having a CTA, ATT or STEP qualification is a prerequisite, but which one is preferred or does it not matter?
2. What other factors should I take into consideration when selecting a tax advisor?
3. What's the typical hourly rate to expect?

Also, any recommendations would be greatly received. Many thanks!

jerome.lane

Re: How to find a good tax advisor?

Postby jerome.lane » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:47 am

CTA, ATT and STEP qualifications are good to haves' although there's lots to be said for qualified by experience. Many financial advisers are excellent with estate planning. I always think the most important thing is to find an adviser who understands your goals and tailors their advice to suit that. At Stewart & Co, that's always what we aim to do. Hourly rates vary from £100 to £300 and upwards (plus VAT on top) although you should be able to get a free initial consultation and then a fixed fee quote for advice in most cases. It's very much a case of beauty parading and then choosing who you would like to work with. Good luck!
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “General”