This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

invoice as individual?

solaris
invoice as individual?

Postby solaris » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:26 am

Hi,

I would be grateful if someone could hep me:

I recently setup a web site+ domain on behalf a UK organisation (non-charity) - I am participating as volunteer with a community scheme with them. The invoice has my details as I had to be registered with a web hosting company
etc and I paid this service out from my pocket.
Now the organisation's accounting dept told me that in order to pay me back that amount they need an invoice from
me to them.
So far so good, issue is I am not running a company or whatever, additionally I had to fill self assessment with HMRC every year - as I receive some pension from abroad. The question is : in the case I will issue that invoice , am I obliged to include that amount on my SA? Is not something like "extra income" , its money I paid already out from my pocket and I want them back.

thank you in advance!

jerome.lane

Re: invoice as individual?

Postby jerome.lane » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:36 am

I would suggest treating it as a private matter and wouldn't worry about it. This clearly isn't self employed income generated from an enterprise with a view to making a profit. Furthermore, the £1,000 trading allowance would prevent you from having to report it anyway, assuming the invoice is less than £1,000.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

solaris

Re: invoice as individual?

Postby solaris » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:50 am

Thank you Jerome for the reply!

The amount is about £80 and its just the amount from the invoice from the hosting provider, I did not ask any additional
monies for the work of the setup the website, I did that for free -part of the community project involvement.

Return to “General”