This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Getting off Self-Assessment

arkhem
Getting off Self-Assessment

Postby arkhem » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi All,

I was obliged to register for Self-Assessment a couple of years ago after I crossed the income threshold due a one-off bonus I received. However I am now no longer (and am unlikely to be) at that level of income in the future and I don't want to have to send in SA Tax Returns every year. Is there a way to go back to PAYE?

Cheers

robbob

Re: Getting off Self-Assessment

Postby robbob » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Yes - its nice and easy.
You simply ring hmrc and advise you don't meet the requirement to submit a tax return and they will normally remove you from self assessment - this applies even if a return has been issued in which case they will cancel the return (sometimes they stupidly call it processing a nil return). Just ensure you are clear on dates that this applies from.

I would recommend specifically double checking here that hmrc agree you are in the clear per their checklist

https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return

Return to “General”