This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Amateur Dramatic Society

AmateurClive
Amateur Dramatic Society

Postby AmateurClive » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 pm

I have recently taken over as treasurer for an amateur dramatic society and I'm trying to understand our tax liability. All members are voluntary, we have a committee that makes the decisions for the society. Everyone pays a yearly fee to be a member, but never receive renumeration. We put on productions for the public and therefore charge for tickets, however, we give any profit we make to charity (that is a fundamental piece of our constitution) but we aren't a charity ourselves. Its usually less than £1000 profit pre-charitable giving. We aren't currently registered with HMRC and I worry that we should be given we are taking money from the public (does this count as trading?) Does anyone have any idea where we stand, or could point me in the right direction to seek some advice?

pawncob

Re: Amateur Dramatic Society

Postby pawncob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:32 pm

https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/amateur-drama-group-taxation-query-t38625.html

I don't think we resolved it, but if you write to HMRC and explain the position they'll probably issue an exemption certificate for the club.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AmateurClive

Re: Amateur Dramatic Society

Postby AmateurClive » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:35 pm

https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/amateur-drama-group-taxation-query-t38625.html

I don't think we resolved it, but if you write to HMRC and explain the position they'll probably issue an exemption certificate for the club.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I'd seen this post, but as you say, I don't think it was resolved. I want our group to be legitimate and to be paying any taxes due, (are taxes due If we give our profit away?) but I also don't want to cause any unnecessary problems, and I worry by approaching HMRC I may do that, so was looking for a bit of advice before I do so.

Return to “General”