This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is it safe to assume I can use Revolut like I would use any other Dutch bank?

Joey G
Is it safe to assume I can use Revolut like I would use any other Dutch bank?

Postby Joey G » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:39 am

Good morning,
I'm Dutch & living in the Netherlands. I'm expecting around 40000 ILS from Israel, so naturally Revolut's exchange rates are appealing.
Question is, will I need to fill in any UK paperwork for using this account and receiving this money? Or can I treat this account just like I would treat any other Dutch bank account?
To be specific, I am referring to the accounting aspect of it - will I be expected to declare or pay any British tax? Or can I declare and use my Revolut account like a local Dutch one, and expect Dutch tax rules only, to govern it?

pawncob

Re: Is it safe to assume I can use Revolut like I would use any other Dutch bank?

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:23 pm

Are you resident in the UK for tax purposes?
If "no" then there are no UK tax implications, but there might be tax due in the Netherlands, depending on the source of the funds and your tax position.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Joey G

Re: Is it safe to assume I can use Revolut like I would use any other Dutch bank?

Postby Joey G » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Are you resident in the UK for tax purposes?
If "no" then there are no UK tax implications, but there might be tax due in the Netherlands, depending on the source of the funds and your tax position.
Thanks! I also had a live chat with Revolut today (with a human LOL) and they said more or less the same thing, plus she mentioned there's a difference between e-banking and normal banking in this regard.

ABiLiTieS Trust

Postby ABiLiTieS Trust » Sat May 02, 2020 2:06 pm

The location of the bank is not relevant in case you are a Dutch tax resident. In case the bank account is a personal belonging, the bank balance is taxed in box three.
A difference between a bank with a bank license and an online bank such as Revolut without a bank license is the interest (to my understanding parties such as Revolut can not give any interest). Though for Dutch box 3 taxation interest income is not relevant.
ABiLiTieS Trust | Corporate Services Amsterdam
info@abilitiestrust.com
Trust Office Netherlands

Return to “General”