This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK CIS Tax Return form needed?

LowreyBKB
UK CIS Tax Return form needed?

Postby LowreyBKB » Mon May 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Hello,

I have lost the documents that I had last year for the proof of my CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) Deductions and I need to gain the forms/evidence so I am able to complete my tax return payment.

I'm unsure how I can get this back as I threw the forms away at the time as I didn't think I would need these.

Would anyone be able to possible help me get these back or create them for me and I will be very supportive and respectful for that.

As I got the email today explaining "
As I have explained in the past what I require from you is documentary evidence such as wage slips, a letter from the contractor or whatever you had in order to arrive at the figure of £8975 for construction industry deductions as shown on your tax return covering the period 6 April 2018 to 5 April 2019"

I'll pay if the forms are sufficient for my provider.

Thank you.

robbob

Re: UK CIS Tax Return form needed?

Postby robbob » Mon May 04, 2020 6:45 pm

I have lost the documents that I had last year for the proof of my CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) Deductions and I need to gain the forms/evidence so I am able to complete my tax return payment.
I'm unsure how I can get this back as I threw the forms away at the time as I didn't think I would need these.
Those forms are like gold dust as they are your best proof that the tax has been deducted from your income if you have been paid cash possibly your only proof , note by law every contractor by provuide proof of tax deducted within 14 days of the end of each tax month - hmrc know this and request that you contact them immediately if contractor is not providing written proof of tax deductions. This being the case you should ideally never be in the position are at the end of the tax year. The past is done but ensure in future you keep proof of tax safe and ideally have backup copies.

Note the obvious thing to do is contact the contractors that paid you and ask for summary details for last tax year, most decent contractors will provide copies albeit some take dim view to bods who have been given them and lost them so you may need to turn onte charm.

Failing that if you are confident that tax was deduced at 20% or 30% from all payments or you can work backover - use your bank statements to do the calcs presuming yhou have had funds paid into your bank.

If contractor has gone into liquidation or similar then ask hmrc to confirm what is on their records and that company is no longer trading.
As I got the email today explaining "
As I have explained in the past what I require from you is documentary evidence such as wage slips, a letter from the contractor or whatever you had in order to arrive at the figure of £8975 for construction industry deductions as shown on your tax return covering the period 6 April 2018 to 5 April 2019"
Is this from your accountant? i donlt blame them for putting ponus on you to work out what you have had - they are psychic and only the cis chitties or similar have the answer for sure - sweet talking contractors to get copy info is you best bet

LowreyBKB

Postby LowreyBKB » Mon May 04, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the reply!

I don't have the documents anymore as I had a meeting with a tax adviser (and left them with him) as myself and the adviser worked the returns out, and did them on the phone with HMRC.

The statement above is from the HMRC, but I cannot access the documents as I left them with the adviser I was using at the time and I cannot contact him. My only option would be possibly to get a sort of template, enter all the figures paid and deductions and send that over.

What do you think?
Thanks

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 pm

It sounds like you asking for assistance to create fraudulent documents. Don’t. HMRC will check whatever you send against the records they have

Tell HMRC that you don’t have evidence and work with them to work out the correct amount.

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue May 05, 2020 8:59 am

It sounds like you asking for assistance to create fraudulent documents. Don’t. HMRC will check whatever you send against the records they have
I wouldn't go as far as saying this - its not entirely uncommon for there to be issues with regard to proving cis tax has been deducted, hmrc systems are poor in this regard where sometimes they refuse to initially accept vouchers exist even when they have been provided with confirmed proof that information has been submitted to them by contractor - with 30@% tax deduction rates oemtimes the details of tax deducted doesn't flow through subcontractor record - something hmrc don't particulalrly aknowledge.

Anyway correct options are

1. chase contarctor for copy of information and provide hmrc full details of chasing done to hmrc if need be
2. Ditto with regard to accountant.
3. ask hmrc to confirm information held on their systems
4. Provide other reasonable evidence if you are unable to make progres ref steps 1-3. Ideally copies of your sales invoices/timesheets and bank statements best reasonable evidence if all else fails.
Provide full information and updates to hmrc as approrpiate.

Being honest if hmrc are involved - this should really never go past stage 1 unless contractor has gone into liquidation as the contractor is the known holder of the information required, although if your agent has info and won;t realse thats annoying.

Be prepared for refund request / sorting to be put on delayedif 1 and 2 don't supply necessary info due to covid related temporary clouse / lack of access to info.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:25 pm

He said
My only option would be possibly to get a sort of template, enter all the figures paid and deductions and send that over.
He wants a document, that looks like an official document, to enter his own figures and pass it of as genuine.

If that is not what he is asking, then a simple sheet of plain paper with a list of what he can recollect will suffice.

Return to “General”