This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transferring Inheritance to UK

CG
Transferring Inheritance to UK

Postby CG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 pm

I have a new client from Ireland who has moved to the UK and is working here as a freelancer. She has asked me to do her freelance accounts, but has also asked a question about her inheritance which I don't have the answer to.

She inherited €350,000 and the Inheritance Tax has been paid on this in Ireland. She wants to move this money to her UK bank account.

Are there any tax implications in the UK for her doing this?

She moved to the UK in February 2017.

Many thanks

jerome.lane

Re: Transferring Inheritance to UK

Postby jerome.lane » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:49 am

There shouldn’t be any tax consequences unless the account with the inheritance monies also holds income or gains accrued since they became U.K. resident and your client is a remittance basis user.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

CG

Re: Transferring Inheritance to UK

Postby CG » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks Jerome for your reply.

My client is not a remittance basis user.

The inheritance was held in an account for 5 years by her guarantors until she was 25. It was released to her last month. Tax was paid on interest earned in those 5 years before it was released to my client.

So is it safe to say she can transfer it to the UK with no tax due on any of it.

Many thanks

Return to “General”