This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can education related to new business be treated as a company expense?

good2bme
Can education related to new business be treated as a company expense?

Postby good2bme » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:57 am

Hi,

I have a full time job and considering incorporating a company to do additional contract work outside of my 9-5. There are several training courses I am currently considering taking which relate directly to the business. My question is would it not be wise, to incorporate and fund the company and have it pay for the training. The idea here is education and training relating to the business should be an allowable business expense.

Does that make sense or am way off?

bd6759

Re: Can education related to new business be treated as a company expense?

Postby bd6759 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:41 pm

Forming a company before you have an income stream is not always a good idea because the costs outstrip the benefits.

But, that said, if you want to route your money through a company in the hope that the company will benefit from a deduction in the future, your analysis is not wrong.

Return to “General”