This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

non-resident non-domicile retiree UK overstay due to pandemic

Elain
non-resident non-domicile retiree UK overstay due to pandemic

Postby Elain » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:41 am

Hi, I am unsure if I need to register with HMRC for self assessment and I can't understand the sizeable manuals which may or may not be relevant to me; having been born in UK to UK domiciled parents nearly 80 years ago. I've never worked in UK, and have lived overseas for nearly 60 years. The Covid pandemic struck whilst I was visiting the UK and due to underlying health issues, I decided against travelling back to my home fearful of catching the virus. Not anticipating that the pandemic would last and mutate as it has, I will have overstayed (183 days) in the UK by mid-January. I have no UK income besides a nominal Gov. old age pension of £300 a month and income interest from a UK bank account amounts to less than £100 for the year. My intention is to return to my home overseas. Do I need to let HMRC know that I will have overstayed the 183 days? Any direction would be gratefully received. Thanks.

maths

Re: non-resident non-domicile retiree UK overstay due to pandemic

Postby maths » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:32 pm

The practical answer is you don't need to do anything in particular given the UK sources of income.

Technically, your personal allowance should cover any potential income tax charge.

Enjoy the rest of your stay and fly back home without worry.

Elain

Re: non-resident non-domicile retiree UK overstay due to pandemic

Postby Elain » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:49 pm

Many thanks for your reply

Return to “General”