This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK/US Tax Treaty W8Ben

Joined:Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:40 am
UK/US Tax Treaty W8Ben

Postby SH88 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:31 am

From my (very basic) understanding if you complete a W8Ben form for an individual based in UK who’s earning revenue from US, we pay 0% tax on US because of the tax treaty (please correct me if I’m wrong), and pay the tax here by submitting the usual Tax Return.

Assuming I have that correct, are you required to submit the W8Ben form to HMRC, or is there an area in the Tax Return that you have to declare how much income would be from the US?

I hope that makes sense.
I’m just trying to get a general understanding of how things work.
Thank you for your time.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location:West Sussex

Re: UK/US Tax Treaty W8Ben

Postby pawncob » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:28 am

The W8BN is submitted to the dividend payer in the US (via UK broker) so they don't withhold tax.
Foreign income is included on the UK return.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”