This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to keep records

ohdearme
How to keep records

Postby ohdearme » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:26 am

Dear me I am retired and still haven't got it.

I have been keeping records on Excel. I am not sure about this but I have been trying to keep separate records for Me,my wife and joint, ( eg buildng soc accounts.

Am I doing this properly? What would you suggest. Please do it as if I am a beginner.

Keep well

Alan

Jholm

Re: How to keep records

Postby Jholm » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:32 pm

What purpose do you require the records for?

I cannot imagine you are required to fall in line with Making Tax Digital record-keeping requirements but it would depend on the sources of income.

Excel is good for keeping a log of income and expenditure, with a separate tab at the bottom for each tax year. You can then easily refer to the previous year when detailing the next year's information.

The amount of information I receive from clients just jotted on a scrap of paper suggest your record-keeping is already better than some!

ohdearme

Postby ohdearme » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:47 pm

Thank you so much for replying.

Your question regarding purpose. I am retired and have a house which I rent, some shares and state pension. That's it really.

I am sure that my tax situation is easy yet I have never been satisfied that I do it properly, and though excel might help.
It doesn't really as I don't really know how to make clear entries.
A separate tab is good. I'll do that, thank you. But how do you think I should make entries and does the me, spouse and joint really need doing on Excel or just wait and do it on the tax return.

Keep well

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:09 am

If you are a landlord, you need to be aware of these changes in the future, if gross rents exceed £10k for the year....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/making-tax-digital/overview-of-making-tax-digital

ohdearme

Postby ohdearme » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Thanks, I know about lettings, in fact I have just paid £40.00 to the ICO. No wonder they have a message when you ring, saying that they will put thephone down if being abused.

It was just about how to keep records.

Best regards

Alan

ShawnaDurgan

Postby ShawnaDurgan » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:27 am

For me, I love to keep my all records in an excel file, google drive and dropbox as well.

ohdearme

Postby ohdearme » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 am

Good idea, belt and braces. Thanks to both of you, keep well. Bye

Return to “General”