This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

moving money from a family member in Hong Kong to another family member in the UK

pp2021
moving money from a family member in Hong Kong to another family member in the UK

Postby pp2021 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi!

I am now living in the UK, and I want to buy a house. My wife is now staying in Hong Kong. She will move 100,000 GBP from her Hong Kong saving account to my UK saving account so that I can buy a house in the UK. Is this money considered as a gift that there is no tax to pay on this money?

Thank you for your attention!

Regards

pawncob

Re: moving money from a family member in Hong Kong to another family member in the UK

Postby pawncob » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:02 am

Spousal gifts have no tax implications, and apart from MLR considerations, the monies have no UK tax implications either.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”