This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company car from overseas

eriksch
Company car from overseas

Postby eriksch » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:04 pm

Hello everyone, hope you are all well!
I have the following question: my company in Switzerland offers me a company car (got promoted :D ) As the company is based in Switzerland, the car would be registered in Switzerland and having Swiss number plates.
Am I allowed to bring it to the UK and use it here? My company in Switzerland does not really care. They would deduct a certain amount each month for using the car privately. How is the situation in UK? Could I have troubles using the whole time a car which is registered in Switzerland?
Many thanks,
Erik

bd6759

Re: Company car from overseas

Postby bd6759 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:16 pm

If the car is available for private use, it’s taxable benefit. It does not matter where it is registered.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:43 am

Are you resident, working and living in the UK, or are you just talking about driving to the UK for a few weeks as a holiday?

eriksch

Postby eriksch » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:14 pm

I am a resident in the UK!

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:18 pm

Then the car along with your employment income from the Swiss employer is taxable in the uk

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:20 pm

Then again, you say they deduct an amount monthly for private use. If this is from net income you may have no issue at least on the car in the UK. You'll need to determine the taxable value in the UK using the company car rules and take off your private contributions as an amount made good.

eriksch

Postby eriksch » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:15 pm

Well, I am at the same time using the Non Domiciled Status, so I am not paying tax in the UK on my Swiss salary... :roll:

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:31 pm

We’ll that’s a fairly relevant t piece if information.

All the duties of your employment are carried out overseas?

You do not remit any of your income from this employment to the UK?

You either have a UK Source if income or significant capital from which to meet UK costs?

You are however proposing to bring a car into the UK. That would be a remittance.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 pm

I take you you do not perform any of the work whatsoever physically in the UK?

eriksch

Postby eriksch » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm

Thank you all so much for your help!
Thats right, all the duties of my employment are carried out overseas and I do not remit any of my income from Switzerland to the UK.
I have another position in UK and also some capital to meet UK costs. I don not perform any of the work physically in the UK...
So if I bring the car from Switzerland, would I need to pay tax in the UK? And if so, what costs would I need to pay? From what I understand it would be a leasing car...

Return to “General”