This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Student loan and unearned income

stapler
Student loan and unearned income

Postby stapler » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:43 pm

Hi

I have a plan 1 student loan. Since graduating my earnings have been below the repayment threshold. My partner and I are considering renting out a house and I understand the income from this is classed as unearned income for student loans. A maximum of £2000 I think is allowed. The main earnings threshold is £19,895. I have a couple of questions please.

It would be a joint venture (my partner and I), so would it be half of the rental income that I need to declare?

If my main earnings are, for example, £10,000 (self employed net profit) does that mean I can earn £9895 of unearned income?

Thank you

Return to “General”