This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Battery Storage & Resale of Electric - Tax Implications

Landlord-Man
Battery Storage & Resale of Electric - Tax Implications

Postby Landlord-Man » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:55 pm

I have been given the all clear from Ofgem that the following is acceptable - but need to know the tax implications please.................

I plan to invest £20,000 to purchase a Battery Storage System for my 4 x studio Furnished Holiday Lets (all electric)

The batteries will be charged by a combination of Solar and cheap Night Tariff grid electric - at a cost of under 7.5p kWh (cost of power not infrastructure).

My guests have coin meters and pay for electric via those. Ofgem have confirmed I can charge what I like for this electric as it is from Battery storage.

So, I plan to charge my guests a few pence below the market rate (perhaps 28p kWh) so they do save a little ££

In a typical year, they will pay (example) £1,200 for electric that cost me £400 to generate, making a "profit" of £800 per year, per flat = £3,200 overall.

For my existing accounts I report the cost of electric from supplier and what guests have paid me and at present they are more or less identical.

But, if I go down the battery storage route, it will show that I am making £3,200 "profit" when I'm not once the battery set-up is taken into account.

So, as the batteries etc have a 10 year warranty, am I permitted to account for £2,000 per year as a "cost" of supply, reducing my yearly profit down to £1,200 ?

Obviously, if the set-up lasts beyond 10 years, my taxable profit will go back up.

Hope that makes sense??

And finally, if I decided (or needed) to go from FHL to standard AST Letting, would any answers to the above change?

THANK YOU

Return to “General”